of the Old Mill and Bridge in Jesmond Dene, from a postcard
published early 1900's. Exact date and publisher unknown.
|Photograph of the Old
Bridge taken from similar viewpoint in 2007.
The Old Mill is now in ruins and largely hidden by additional foliage.
|Postcard of Stepping
Jesmond Dene, from a postcard sent
February 10th 1932. Published by Pelham.
|Photograph of the
taken in 2007. Again, the scene is now
largely hidden by foliage.
|Postcard of Heaton Park,
near Jesmond Dene. One of the "Dainty Series" of postcards.
This one posted in August 1908.
||Photograph taken from a
similar position in August 2007.
|Postcard of the Lawns,
Heaton Park, published by BR Ltd and posted in July 1910.
||Photograph from a
similar position in August 2007.
|Postcard of the front of
The Banqueting Hall in Jesmond Dene. Publisher unknown but
postmarked Jan 24th, 1927.
||Photograph from similar
position taken in January 2008. Much less Ivy in evidence.
|Another card of the Banqueting Hall, this time the lower part which is now mostly in ruins. Published by T.H. Dickinson, Gateshead. Posted December 29th, 1908.||Photograph taken in April 2008 from similar location. Banqueting Hall building now in ruins. On further reflection, I am not now convinced that the steps on the right are the same ones as those in the postcards. as they appear to be too far from the hall.|
|A closer view of the terrace in Heaton Park.. Postcard in the Philco Series, printed in Germany. Early 20th century, exact date unknown.||Photograph taken April 2008 from similar viewpoint. Borders not quite up to Edwardian standards.|
|Postcard of the lodge which used to stand at the Armstrong Bridge entrance of Jesmond Dene. Card from the National Series, postmarked 1906 or 1908.||Photograph taken from similar position in April 2008. Unfortunately only the gates now exist, (minus stone balls). Anyone know when & why the lodge was demolished?|
|Another postcard of the lodge from inside the gates. Card from the "Brash" series, published by A. Denholm Brash (bookseller and stationer), County Hotel Buildings, Newcastle upon Tyne. Postmarked May 14th, 1905.||Photograph taken in April 2008, taken from similar viewpoint. The steps at the left seem to be all that now remains of the Lodge.|
|Postcard of the Armstrong Bridge, viewed from Coleman's Fields in Jesmond Dene. Published by T H Dickinson, Gateshead. Postmarked Sept. 25th., 1907.||Photograph from similar position taken in April 2008. The waterlogged area shown in the foreground now appears to have been drained, although the location may not be exactly the same.|
|A postard of a man leaning on a fence in Jesmond Dene near one of the Weirs. Publisher and exact date unknown.||Photograph from a similar position taken April 2008. Unfortunately it was not possible to gain access to the exact viewpoint due to trees and undergrowth. To the right is the entrance to Fisherman's Lodge.|
|Postcard of Armstrong Park, showing the Old Windmill. Postmarked March 22nd. 1904. Publisher unknown.||Photograph from similar position taken in April 2008. Unfortunately from the point of view of the photograph, the Old Windmill is hidden by treees.|
|Postcard of Armstrong Park showing the Old Windmill from the East. Published by Valentine's. Date unknown.||Photograph from similar position taken in April 2008. This part of the park is now mostly tennis courts and a bowling green.|
|Postcard showing the Bowling Green and "King John's Chapel", Heaton Park. Published by Hartman(?). Postmarked April 24th, 1906.||Photograph from similar position taken in April 2008. Although the card refers to the building as St John's Chapel, it is now known locally as St. John's Palace, although the official name is actually The House of Adam of Jesmond. Unfortunately for this photograph, some renovation work appears to be in progress.|