postcard published by Frith's & Co., looking NNE up The Bank.
Exact date unknown but the card is Art Nouveau in style and
the cars look early 20th Century. The building in the centre is
Blagrove House, which features on other cards.
||Photograph taken in August 2009 from a similar viewpoint.
postcard showing the Market Cross in Barnard Castle, published by
Walter Benton & Co., Glasgow and postmarked August 7th.,
1917. Apparently the building to the left of the cross was known
as Amen Corner and which was the location of Humphrey's Clock Shop
which featured in his novel "Master Humphrey's Clock".
from a similar viewpoint taken in August 2009. Difficult to find
the exact spot due to cars parked along the road. Amen Corner was
apparently demolished in 1933 for the purpose of street improvement.
Dickens and Barnard Castle.
postcard showing a closer view of Blagrove's House. Also
published by Friths. Unpublished but a similar date to the card
showing The Bank.
from a similar viewpoint taken in August 2009. THe building is
now a restaurant and is apparently the oldest house in Barnard Castle
card showing a different view of "Blagrove House". This
card published in the Stoddart's Series and postmarked December 31st.,
1905 and sent as a Christmas card.
from a similar viewpoint taken in August 2009. Note that the
small statues outside the house were not present at the time of the
|Yet another view of the house but this time named "Cromwell House". Date and publisher unknown. This was taken at the time when the house was used as a museum. Apparently Cromwell stayed in the house in 1648. The small statues are visible in this photograph.||Photograph from a similar viewpoint taken in August 2009.
More details and history of Blagrove's House.
|Another Friths postcard, with a view of the castle from the River Tees. Unposted and exact date unknown.||Photograph from a similar viewpoint taken in August 2009.|
showing the Toll Gates on Abbey Bridge, near Barnard Castle. Again
published by Frith's but unposted, so exact date unknown but from other
cards must be early 1900's. The bridge was built in 1773 and was
in use as a toll bridge until the mid 20th century.
More info on the bridge.
|Photograph from a similar viewpoint taken August 2009. Unfortunately the actual Toll Gate buildings were demolished quite recently, possibly in order to improve visibility for road traffic. If so, what a shame.|
|Another postcard of the bridge, this time published in the Stoddard's Series. Postmarked year not visible but bears an Edward VII stamp (1901-1910). The woman in the Toll House must have got used to having her photograph taken.||Photograph from a similar viewpoint taken in August 2009.|
|Another card of the Toll House, published by Valentine's and postmarked July 16th., 1919. Woman not present this time.||Photograph from a similar viewpoint taken August 2009. If anyone has any details of this bridge and it's history, please e-mail.|
|A postcard depicting Egglestone Abbey, after which the Abbey Bridge is named. Publisher unknown but postmarked August 14th. 1903.||Photograph
from a similar viewpoint taken August 2009. Egglestone Abbey
was a Premonstratensian monastic house, founded between 1168 1198
and is cared for by English Heritage. Admission is free.
|Another card of Egglestone Abbey, from the Dainty Series. Postmarked July 19th, 1907.||Photograph from a similar viewpoint taken August 2009.|
|Postcard of the Abbey, printed by Delittle, Fenwick and Co. York, for Christian Novels Publishing Co. Here the name is apparently given as "Eccleston" Abbey, which is incorrect. There is a village of Eggleston to the NE of Barnard Castle but no Eccleston.||Photograph taken from a similar viewpoint in August 2009. The view is towards the probable site of the High Altar and the object in the foreground is the "table" tomb of Sir Rafe Bowes, which was clearly reconstructed later than the image shown in the postcard.|